Police: Drive-By Shooting of N.C. Republican Candidate’s House Was ‘Targeted,’ Not a ‘Random Act of Violence’

Original article here


Huntersville Police confirmed Thursday that the drive-by shooting at the home of Mecklenburg County commissioner candidate Aaron Marin “was targeted in nature and does not appear to be a random act of violence.” Local law enforcement has called in the FBI to help investigate what appears to be a case of political violence and intimidation.

Multiple gunshots struck the Republican’s home Monday night while he and his family were inside. In a statement Thursday, police said officers found shell casings in the road and several vehicles in the driveway damaged by gunfire. Luckily, no one was injured.

Marin, the only Republican running for the District 1 seat, said in a Facebook post Tuesday that shots were “intentionally directed only at our house” while he was home with his wife and two young sons.

District 1 in North Carolina includes parts of north Charlotte and the towns of Huntersville.

“By God’s grace, we are all safe and unharmed—but as a husband and father, there are no words to describe the shock of hearing gunfire directed at your home,” Marin wrote.

We are deeply shaken and stunned that something like this could happen in Huntersville — the community where we are raising our family and have always believed to be safe and strong.

The Huntersville Police Department and Crime Scene responded immediately. We are grateful for their swift response and the professionalism of our local law enforcement.

In an interview with WSOCTV-9, Marin expressed shock that such a thing could happen in what he previously considered a safe neighborhood.

“Today, I don’t feel safe standing right here in front of you,” he told the WSOCTV reporter, adding that his kids no longer feel safe playing in their driveway.

“It is disturbing what we have experienced,” he said.

In their statement Thursday, Huntersville Police said they believed the shooting was targeted because “the homeowner is a candidate in a local political race” and that they called in the FBI to help investigate the shooting “out of an abundance of caution.”

Local police and the FBI will continue “to collect and analyze evidence and follow all viable leads,” the statement said.

The Republican will face the winner of a three-person Democratic primary in the November general election, the Charlotte Observer reported.

In a statement on Facebook Thursday, Marin thanked law enforcement officials for working so “diligently” on the case.

“Thank you to HPD’s officers, detectives, and investigators for working this case diligently, and for coordinating with the FBI,” he wrote.  “As a husband and father, we’re still processing what happened, but we’re grateful my family is safe. Out of respect for the active investigation, I won’t speculate. If you have any information, please contact law enforcement — your tip could help bring answers and accountability. Public safety must always come first.”

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

About the Author: Patriotman

Patriotman currently ekes out a survivalist lifestyle in a suburban northeastern state as best as he can. He has varied experience in political science, public policy, biological sciences, and higher education. Proudly Catholic and an Eagle Scout, he has no military experience and thus offers a relatable perspective for the average suburban prepper who is preparing for troubled times on the horizon with less than ideal teams and in less than ideal locations. Brushbeater Store Page: http://bit.ly/BrushbeaterStore

Leave a Reply

GUNS N GEAR

Categories

Archives