I am starting this new series, TDG (Tactical Decision Game) Tuesdays, to get you more in the mindset of how you could potentially handle a given tactical scenario with a limited amount of resources and manpower. My goal is to get you to read these scenarios and think about what resources you have available, what sort of scenarios you might encounter, and what gaps you need to fill in your equipment/training.
I will use the basic 5-paragraph operations order format, or SMEAC, to present the scenario as follows;
Situation: Disposition of all friendly, hostile, and adjacent forces.
Mission: What we are trying to do.
Execution: How we are going to do it.
Admin & Logistics: Who/what is getting where and how.
Command & Signal: Who is in charge and how they are communicating.
TDG 1: Antifa Roadblock
Situation: Partial collapse scenario, National Guard are caught up trying to maintain order in the large population centers due to BLM/ANTIFA riots and civil unrest.
- OPFOR Situation: Communist insurgents from the group “Redneck Revolt” are taking advantage of the chaos and have started setting up armed road blocks to check for “fascists” in some rural areas, the nearest one at crossroads “Alpha”. They are harassing, beating, and sometimes robbing anyone with any sort of pro-Trump or pro-America stickers on their cars. Our scout team has observed them wielding a mixture of AK/AR type rifles, shotguns, and handguns depending on who is currently on the rotating shifts. Their strength is normally about a fire team (4-5 shooters) and they rotate watch every 8 hours.
- BLUFOR Situation: You and your 3 buddies are thus far ordinary citizens who occasionally meet and train together but have not yet conducted operations. However, armed communists setting up roadblocks on American soil is a crossed line for you and you will not allow it to go unanswered.
- Independent Elements Situation: LE is reluctant to do anything about the roadblocks due to political pressure and the press is praising the insurgents as “freedom fighters.” However, most of the population resents the roadblocks but are unwilling to act for fear of retributions from LE. Average response time for 911 call is roughly 10 minutes.
Mission: Clear the roadblock at crossroads “Alpha” in order to demoralize the enemy and discourage them from manning roadblocks in the future.
Execution: (Up to you!)
Admin & Logistics: Also up to you. You have the following resources:
- 4 shooters (including yourself)
- 3 AR-15s, 1 Mosin Nagant, and 1,000 rounds of ammo for each
- 2 pickup trucks, 1 mini-van, and 1 jeep
- 2 Baofeng UV-5R radios
- 1 PVS-14 NVG
Command and Signal: You are the team leader. Your comm plan is up to you. Remember to use a PACE plan.
Feel free to post your answers in the comments and discuss. Keep in mind, the more complicated a plan is, the more potential points of failure.