As you all may recall, I posted an article on May 22nd about Canmunition and its potential as a long term storage solution for ammunition. To refresh your memories, let me quote that article:

According to the “About” section on the website, Canmunition provides a completely sealed, waterproof, lightproof, oxygen-free environment to keep the moisture out and your ammo in tip-top shape until you’re ready to use it, even if that is decades from now”. The can is approximately 3 inches in diameter and 6 inches high

There are two different calibers currently offered – approximately 90 rounds of Fiocchi 9mm (124 grain FMJ) or approximately 40 rounds of Fiocchi .223 (55 grain FMJ Boat Tail).

I went ahead and ordered four cans of the 9mm ammo to test at $24.95 a pop (yes, I did not receive these for free – I bought them out of pocket to ensure no bias). I decided I would test it in three different ways:

      1. Submerged in water for 6 months
      2. Sitting in a hot shed for 6 months, and
      3. Using NC Scout’s recent article on Caching with PVC as a guide, inside a PVC cache for 6 months and 12 months (meaning I will have to dig up and reseal it in 6 months). This would also allow me to get some practical experience with building a cache using my new knowledge.

There were a few tweaks after the article was written. For starters, the shed outside was not getting as mhot as I wanted for the test. As a result, the shed can was moved to the attic. Also, as mentioned at the bottom of the article, another can was purchased and placed into the freezer. Now that it has been six months, let’s review each one! This first part is only going to be on the status of the can and the ammo. The next article will be about testing firing all of the rounds from the cans to test for failures.

Can Submerged in Water

Can was submerged in water in a dark cabinet for six months. You can see some type of growth on the bottom of the can.

Taking the can out of the water was interested because there were a lot of particles in the tub that were not there before. Additionally, you could see the growth on the bottom of the can as well as some discoloration. The rest of the can was perfect, however – no bulges or breaks.

The can opened with a healthy pop, indicating that the seal was not broken. Inside, the ammunition was in tip top shape, as seen below, and it was dry.

Can in Freezer

The second can lived in a chest freezer for six months.  As you can see, it had some ice attached to it upon removal. The can itself seemed to be fine.

The can had some ice and and an unknown wrapper attached to it when I removed it.

Again, there was some slight discoloration on the bottom of the can but it was otherwise in great shape. It opened with a pop, indicating the seal was intact.

The ammunition did come out with some frost on it as you can see below. I do not know whether or not that affects it’s ability to go BANG, but I don’t think it would. When I test fire it, it will have no frost on it  so the test will be more useful to determine whether you could grab it from a frozen cache, throw it in a bag, and then shoot it later without the frost melting and affect the primers.

Can in Hot Attic

The third can was moved from the shed to the attic in order to attain an adequate temperature. I can report that the temperature I personally observed on the thermometer was 144.6°F.

The bottom of the can was fine. However, a bulge did develop on the top of the can as seen below.

Unfortunately, the can did not open with a “HISS” of any kind, meaning that the bulge observed definitely create a micro-leak in the seal. This means that the vacuum sealed property of the can was gone. The ammunition inside was fine, but it remains to be seen whether or not the humidity of the attic, given the seal breach, has affected the primers.

Can Cached in PVC

The last can to test is the one that was buried in PVC following NC Scout’s instructions. The pipe was dug up (admittedly, it took me longer than it should have to actually find it despite having a picture of the place I buried it – lessons were learned) and opened. The seal on the PVC seemed to be fine.

Using a wrench, I opened the sealed clean-out plug and extracted the 6 month can (a 12 month was reburied in the resealed PVC pipe). the inside of the pipe seemed dry, which is good because I was purposed dumping my fire pit (filled with water and ash from when I extinguished it) over the PVC area all summer (in addition to the rains).

The can itself was fine. The bulge on the bottom of the can was already there from when I received it.

The can opened with a “HISS”, indicating the seal was still good. The ammunition inside seemed to be fine.

Next Steps

The next step in this testing process is test firing the ammunition. I intend on testing it for function and feed in order to determine whether or not the primers or powder of the ammunition was affected in any way. In particular, I am interested in the Freezer Can and the Temperature Can given the frost and broken seal, respectively. From a storage standpoint, the winners right now are the Water and the Cache because they had both good seals and no visual effect on the ammunition. Let’s see what the function test will say!